"For God loved the world in this way: He gave His One and Only Son, so that everyone who believes in Him will not perish but have eternal life." John 3:16

Friday, March 21, 2008

Happy Easter!

Yesterday was the first day of spring. It was also the beginning of my favorite weekend...sweet, blessed Easter. How sad a year would be without this precious time.

We celebrated the Lord’s Supper at church last night. We remembered His body broken…His blood poured for us. I love these services. The quiet, dark sanctuary filled with song, filled with tears. “Jesus paid it all…all to Him I owe.” “Oh, the wonderful cross…” I sat with friends…the body of Christ; we came to the Lord’s Table together. All at once my heart broke for the pain my Savior endured for me, it rejoiced that He did and it longed, longed for Him to share – physically share – in this with me.

My servant King, my humble Master, stooped to the lowest of the low – crucified with criminals to rescue me. Oh, how I love Him. I love Him even more because the story doesn’t end there. Come Sunday morning and the dark, bruised Friday sky is replaced with a fresh, brilliant new light. Light like the world has never seen.

He died to make ALL things new. Isn’t it just so timely that spring comes and then we celebrate the resurrection? Grass grows where snow once lay. Empty trees fill up with leaves once again. Flowers bloom, babies are born, the whole world bubbles with life. Winter is gone and spring is here! Death has been conquered and our Savior lives!

The seasons are such a beautifully accurate description of what God can do. They are the salvation message embedded in nature. Every year the story is told. What was dead is now alive. The mighty Creator of the seasons can make -will make - the whole earth new. Resurrection, restoration, renew, reborn…all some of God’s favorite things. How He loves to take death and replace it with life!

It is for this we celebrate. For what He has done already and for what He is yet to do. In great anticipation I await the Lord’s coming. I can’t wait to dine with Him at His table. My body longs to wash His nail scarred feet with my tears. My heart can not contain the thought of celebrating with Him that He is alive…the battle won and eternity ours.

I pray the hope that comes with spring brings life – eternal life – to your heart. There is no greater promise than spring is coming! No greater love than what our Lord did on this day.

Happy spring and happy Easter!

"I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in Me, even if he dies, will live." John 11"25

No comments: