"For God loved the world in this way: He gave His One and Only Son, so that everyone who believes in Him will not perish but have eternal life." John 3:16

Friday, May 1, 2009

Bad Mom, Good Girl

Last night we had some friends over and while they were still here I headed up stairs to put the kids to bed. It was a little later than usual, but not too late.

Summer and Connor always go to bed first. One, because they have school the next day. And two, because through trial and error we have learned that bedtime goes much smoother with Chloe out of the picture. Somehow, Chloe - who loves bedtime herself - also loves to keep her brother and sister awake. There will be giggling, playing, who knows what when Chloe is up there. Without her...silence in a matter of seconds.

So just like any other night, Chloe got ready for bed but headed downstairs with me.

She was sitting on my lap while I visited with our friends. At some point she started squirming to get down and I let her, but didn't pay much attention to what she did next (bad mom). Some time goes by and one of our guests asks, "Where did Chloe go? Did she put herself to bed? Does she always do that?"

I jumped up and looked around - sure enough no Chloe (bad bad mom).

"She doesn't EVER do that...but if someone was going to...it would be her."

I head up stairs to check. My heart melts as I find her in her bed, covered and sleeping soundly. (what a good girl) My heart was sad that she had made the trek upstairs without me.

Maybe it was more sad that she didn't need me.

At the very same time, I couldn't help but smile. What a special girl we have! Her sweetness just keeps amazing me!

1 comment:

Marti said...

I'm trying to picture Ike doing that, and it's just not possible!

What a sweetheart!

When are you coming to visit? :) I wish we could all be together.