"For God loved the world in this way: He gave His One and Only Son, so that everyone who believes in Him will not perish but have eternal life." John 3:16

Friday, May 8, 2009

Nothing Can Separate Us

Have you ever heard something your entire life but than all of a sudden you really hear it? It doesn't just get stuck in your ear but sinks into your brain...or maybe it's your heart.

That happened to me tonight.

I had the privilege of hearing Lisa Whelchel speak at a local church this evening. It was casual and lighthearted. She was fun and transparent. I was captivated by her testimony. So different than mine, and yet...the same.

She told details of how our brain and emotions are tied together. Scientific details that I would mess up if I tried to retell. How God has designed for one to go with the other. It is not just enough to know what we know, but we have to feel what we know to truly believe it.

Before I confuse myself any further...this is what I carried home tonight. This was my slap my hand on my forehead moment. My "How in the world have I not got this yet?" moment.

As if I had never heard it before, Lisa said something like this:

We are told over and over how sin separates us from God - and it does. He is holy and our sin keeps us from having a relationship with Him. But. BUT Jesus. Once we have Jesus in our lives, covering our sin...NOTHING, NOTHING can separate us from Him.

A light bulb went off in my head! That is scripture I have read how many times? "Nothing can separate us." Yet how many times a day do I beat myself up for failing...and not just failing but failing AGAIN. For losing my patience AGAIN. For not spending time in His Word AGAIN. For forgetting to pray AGAIN.

For...for...for...the list could on and on.

And I feel separated. I feel like He distanced Himself because of my sin. I feel I have let Him down. Disappointed Him. I can picture Him throwing His hands up in frustration. Maybe even anger.

But God's holiness (as huge as that is!!) is only half the picture. The other half is grace, clothed in flesh and called Jesus.

Without Him our sin separates us from God. With Jesus, His grace draws us near. It stoops to cover our sin. It wraps arms around us. It heals. It protects. It forgives and it loves. Always completely, never-ending love.

He doesn't want a perfect performance. He just wants me.

Amazing, amazing grace.

No comments: