"For God loved the world in this way: He gave His One and Only Son, so that everyone who believes in Him will not perish but have eternal life." John 3:16

Monday, May 11, 2009

Cherish

Today was the much awaited last day of school for Connor. Tomorrow is the big preschool graduation!

I have been counting down the days since we moved and added 20 minutes onto the daily trek. Honestly, I wasn't sure I was going to make it to the end. There were many days, I thought it might be his last. But a day at a time...one car line at a time...we made it to the end!

As excited as I was to see today and pick Connor up from school the last time, there was also that mommy part of me, that just wanted to hold onto it all. I wanted time to slow down for just a minute. For more reasons than my "to do list".

I came home from dropping him off and sat with Chloe. We played babies, looked at cards, fixed her up pretty and "talked" the whole time. My quiet mornings with her will be rare to none these next couple of months. And oh, how I have enjoyed her!

As I left to pick Connor up from school, I smiled as Chloe closed her eyes the moment she hit her car seat. For months, this has been her nap...the hour long ride to his school and back. Memories, though I often dreaded, I don't want to forget.

Waiting in the car line, I can't help but smile again as I see Connor walking towards me. All smiles as well, he jumps in and doesn't waste a second before pouring out the exciting details of his day. *Sigh* I love it! I know the day will come much sooner than I like and his boyish glee will turn to mere smirks and grunts. So again, I tuck this away.

As much as I have disliked the distance to Connor's school and the car line, I have looked forward to our rides home. This was "our" time. Chloe sound asleep, and Connor as talkative as ever, we shared some of the most memorable conversations.

Here are only a few recent ones:

"When is Daddy going to be a grown up and go to work?"
Mind you, I am not sure how "grown up" Shawn is, but he does go to work every day. It was only after a few confusing minutes that I realized in Connor's mind - you didn't go to work unless you wore a uniform (ie, fireman, policeman, doctor).

"I pushed Avery today, but it was on purpose...or on accident. Which one is the good one?"

We have also had some good heart-to-hearts on the way home from school. Such as, Jesus coming in to your heart even when it is all bloody in there. Oh, I pray I never forget his wide eyes when I told him Jesus stays even when He does bad things. "Yes, pretty amazing, isn't it, sweet boy."

We have discussed in detail how God cries when we cry. He came to conclusion all on his own that he doesn't hear God crying because he cries so loud. I could only agree with that one.

Ah, so tomorrow a new chapter begins as we head towards another summer vacation.


Please, Lord, help me cherish every minute You have allowed me to borrow these precious children. Help me rejoice in all things!

2 comments:

Marti said...

The part about God crying loudly actually made me tear up. No matter how much something may hurt us, He feels it more because He is more. He cries so loudly we can't hear Him.

Sweet memories and thoughts. I'm feeling the same way as my baby inches closer to being one year old.

l said...

What a wonderful day (full of memories :) Isn't it such a blessing being a mother? (heehee, i have no trouble saying that while it's quiet now and they are asleep)

And, Connor's questions, HILARIOUS! Which one's the good one? I'm still giggling!