"For God loved the world in this way: He gave His One and Only Son, so that everyone who believes in Him will not perish but have eternal life." John 3:16

Sunday, April 22, 2007

Comfort in the Midst of Pain

Death has been on my mind lately. From contemplating the sacrifice of Christ around the Easter season to the devastating news of the shootings at Virginia Tech, my mind has been occupied with it. Not a fun subject, I know. I have never felt the direct sting of the death of someone close to me, so I in no way want to come across as knowing about the pain those left behind are feeling. As much as my heart aches for those grieving, I know it is nothing compared to what their hearts are feeling. I can’t feel their pain, but I know Someone Who does. I am praying for our loving God to heal their hearts. Yes, He is a loving God and He didn’t cause this anymore than I would wish this on one of my children.

I am reminded of the story of Lazarus. Hidden in that story lies a verse that has raised so many questions and opinions. John 11:35 says “Jesus wept.” That is all there is to it…short, to the point, but what is God trying to tell us? “All scripture is God-breathed” (2 Timothy 3:16) so I know it is placed there for a purpose. Look, even at how it is placed…those two words not only are given their own verse, they are given their own paragraph!

Let’s back up a little. Mary had come to Jesus crying, questioning and knowing full well in her heart that He was the One that could have stopped her brother from dying. She was grieving. I can’t imagine the weight of her heart, but Jesus felt it. He wept with her. Now notice, a couple of verses above that…”When Jesus saw her weeping, and the Jews who had come with her also weeping, he was deeply moved in spirit and troubled” John 11:33. One Sunday in our LifeGroup at church, our leader pointed out something that was fascinating to me. “He was deeply moved…and troubled” can also be interpreted as “anger”. Our leader said with an assurance that still rings in my ears, “Jesus HATES death!”

So, could Christ not only have been crying because of Mary’s pain…but also because this just is not how it is suppose to be? This is not the original plan! God gives life! Satan brings death. Death being a result of sin and knowing God hates sin, why would He look at death any other way? Proverbs 8:36 says, “all who hate me love death” and 1 Corinthians 15:26 lists death as God’s enemy…the last to be destroyed, it says.

So as our country is mourning this tragedy, don’t you think that our God is crying too? He has been where we are and He knows the sting of death more intimately than any other. He knows our pain thoroughly but I don’t think we can fathom the depth of His pain over sin and death. Though not part of His plan, it does not sway Who He is. It does not move Him off the throne…it does not even make His hands rub together in uncertainty. His victories over all these things are certain. The price has been paid, the battle fought. He is still Lord and His reign is still sovereign.

What an amazing God! In all His grander and majesty He still feels our pain. But He does not stop there! He goes one step further and reaches down from Heaven and heals our hearts. What love! He gives of Himself so that we have what we need to keep walking. Many times it is just one step at a time, one foot in front of the other. He slows His pace to match ours and He allows us to lean on His strength. I would have stopped walking a long time ago if it was not for Him leading me sometimes pulling me. Sometimes it has seemed like He was not going to show up. And then when He did, like Mary, I thought He was too late. But He is faithful…way more than I. He is trustworthy and He cares!! He truly is a loving God!!


If you took the time to read through this long post of rambling - thank you! So much of this was just thinking out loud...if you have any thoughts or insight, please share! If you are hurting or questioning, I am praying for you! I am praying that you will turn to a God that is able to handle your hurts and questions. He will give you what you need to get through, if you will only ask Him. He will come to you!

Love you all!

Mindy

2 comments:

Tara said...

Beautiful, Mindy...

Anonymous said...

Amen, little sister! You express yourself beautifully. I feel more connected to you being able to read your blog. I don't always comment, but I visit almost every day. Keep it up!