"For God loved the world in this way: He gave His One and Only Son, so that everyone who believes in Him will not perish but have eternal life." John 3:16

Tuesday, April 17, 2007

The Innocence of a Baby

"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well. My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place. When I was woven together in the depths of the earth, your eyes saw my unformed body. All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be." Psalm 139:14-16

I watch my sleeping daughter in her crib. So sweet she is, so innocent, so untouched by this dirty world. Oh, how I wish I could keep her that way. I pray over her that God will keep her heart safe, but I know that with each passing day it is going to get harder and harder to do that. That innocence will banish before my eyes as I know I will witness her first tantrum, her first defiant look, probably catch her in her first lie.

Yes, we are born in sin, but when I look at her, I don’t yet see sin’s marks. I see God all over her….she is so fresh from His throne room. Oh, how I long to be close to her…to savor her sweetness…her smell…her. I look in her eyes, that seem so knowing and I want to know what she knows. Does she still remember where she came from? Does she miss her Heavenly Father? Does she remember the first time her eyes opened and she saw darkness instead of His great light? I know as much as my heart overflows with love for her, God’s heart overflows way more than mine ever could. Does He miss her? She is such a sweet angel…her smile lights up our home. Does He miss that smile being directed at Him?

How long will it be before she is home with Him again? Only God knows. I pray it is a lifetime…but I also pray that in that lifetime she will bring glory to His name. I know when He sent her out; it was for one purpose and one purpose alone…His glory. She has in her chest a beating heart, as we all do, beating only to give God glory. I pray she never forgets where she came from. The same hands that fashioned the stars in the sky, gently and with more love than I can imagine, formed her little body. He breathed His life into her and He placed her in my womb. Then He did one more remarkable thing. One more thing that takes more love than anything else He had given her so far…He gave her a choice. He longs for her to long for Him…to come running back to Him, but He, as painful as it is for Him, He gives her option not to.

We are all children of God just as she is...we are all His only children. He loves each one of us more than we could ever imagine. He made us and He placed us in this world, hoping beyond hope that we would remember. That we would remember that He gave us life…that we are here for Him…and that we would chose to love Him back. I pray for my little girl. I pray that she holds tight to what she knows now to be true. And I pray she lives all her days for the King of kings…to bring glory to His name! His most wonderful name! Amen!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, Mindy. Beautiful!!! -Sis

Tara said...

Incredible - just love this!