"For God loved the world in this way: He gave His One and Only Son, so that everyone who believes in Him will not perish but have eternal life." John 3:16

Tuesday, November 13, 2007

He Speaks to Me

"He Speaks to Me" by Priscilla Shirer has been sitting in my current reading pile for awhile now. It is with a bit of sadness that I place it on my bookshelf. I did this study twice, back to back. I read through it with Tara and then felt God leading me to facilitate this same study at our church this fall. I was blessed immensely both times. Priscilla's sweet, yet stern in her conviction:

  • Ministry is when people don't want more of you, they want more of Him. Oh, God, don't let me ever forget!
  • Our desire shouldn't be to impress God, but to have a relationship with Him. He is the reward! He is Heaven!
  • If we continue to allow God to fill us, sooner or later we'll find that nothing else will satisfy. So true...
  • The King of kings and Lord of lords makes Himself available to all of us, even beggars, no, especially beggars - when we are hungry for Him. So amazing...I don't think I will ever cease to be amazed by this!
  • And finally, I learned that my family is my first ministry. Their "interruptions" are not really interruptions at all but rather God's plan for my day. To ignore them, is to ignore God's voice...ouch...

The entire study is pulled from the life of the child Samuel the night he heard God speak. She has amazing insight. The book seems to build...getting better and better with each chapter and ends in such a way, you beg for more...more of Him.

By far, one of my favorite quotes is this:

God is too great to be impressed by all our activity. People might be impressed, but God won't be. We bring a smile to His face when we sit at His feet, hear His voice, and discover the secrets reserved for His friends. May we respond to the Lord as David did: "My heart has heard you say, 'Come and talk with me.' And my heart responds, 'Lord, I am coming'" (Psalm 27:8 NLT).

May I always respond, "Lord, I am coming!"

1 comment:

Tara said...

Lord, I am coming - LOVED that part! I still think it is my favorite. What an amazing study that was. I hope I never forget the lessons and that I will always be able to apply them to my life.