"For God loved the world in this way: He gave His One and Only Son, so that everyone who believes in Him will not perish but have eternal life." John 3:16

Thursday, November 15, 2007

Raising Grandma

Summer is continually reminding me of my Mom. I have said that often over the last 5 years, but it seems to be getting more frequent. I still think, as much as people say she looks like me, that I can see my Mom somewhere in there...maybe her eyes?

Once she started toddling around, it took another level. If something was on the floor she would put it away immediately, if a rug was wrinkled she would straighten it. She would pick up trash in the street or try to clean up public bathrooms. "A little Grandma," we would say. And of course, Grandma would beam.

Then Connor was born and again her "Grandma-ness" intensified. Some would probably call it the older child syndrome (which would make sense for both Summer and Grandma.) She began to give orders to anyone and everyone...and 9 times out of 10 they would obey her! We often say that Connor will be well prepared for marriage because he is so used to doing whatever Summer tells him to do.

Lately, since Chloe it will seem, she has again evolved. I noticed the change, but until yesterday never realized it indeed is more like Grandma. Nearly every time we are rushed to get anywhere (which is nearly every time we go anywhere) as soon as we get in car and backing out of the driveway, Summer begins her 20 questions..."Mom, did you get your purse? Do we have the diaper bag? Where are Chloe's shoes? Why are we going this way when the store is that way?" Of course, there may be legitimate reasons behind these questions, but still I constantly tell her, "Just be a kid and let Mommy worry about those things."

Now yesterday, I tuck her in bed and she asks if we can go to the park after school. I said. "We will see what the weather is like", and I go to tuck Connor in. While I am in Connor's room I hear her going on and on about something that was obviously very important to her. I go to see what the problem is..."If we go to the park tomorrow, you can't forget to get gas first!" Huh?

My mind flashed back to the afternoon. I had picked her up from school and just as I pulled into the driveway my gas light came on. I think I said something like, "Oh, the gas light just came on...we will have to get gas before where we go anywhere else." That was the end of that.

Then four hours later, my five year old daughter is reminding me that I need gas. Boy, does THAT sound familiar...

This morning as I am rushing around getting her off to school, I hear her ask Shawn if they will be driving to school in his truck. I think, what a silly question, Shawn most always drops her off and always with his truck. Of course, he said, "yes". She responds with a sigh of relief, "Oh, good, Mommy's car is all out of gas!"

He looks at me, "It is?"

"No! I just need gas, but I can get it! I can even pump it myself!"

Why do I feel like I am once again living with my Mom?

Love you, Mom and I will be so happy if Summer turns out just like you!! :)

4 comments:

Jodi said...

Yes, but can she giggle?

Tara said...

Oh my, oh my, oh my...that is hysterical! Actually...can I borrow her sometime? I seem to have left my memory somewhere...

Keri said...

Oh, Mindy, that is hilarious! and I'm sure frustrating at times. I would absolutely love to (re)meet your kids sometime!

By the way, Grandma's giggle? Hannah's got it.

Anonymous said...

What a hoot!! What will she be like when she's 65?!! -Vicki