"For God loved the world in this way: He gave His One and Only Son, so that everyone who believes in Him will not perish but have eternal life." John 3:16

Saturday, January 5, 2008

The Cross

I have always loved hymns, but so many of these old songs recently starting hitting me fresh. I hope you don't mind if I share a few more brilliantly penned lyrics...

At the Cross
Isaac Watts

Alas, and did my Saviour bleed,
And did my Sov'reign die?
Would He devote that sacred head
For sinners such as I?

Was it for crimes that I had done
He groaned upon the tree?
Amazing pity, grace unknown
And love beyond degree!

Well might the sun in darkness hide,
And shut his glories in,
When Christ the mighty Maker died
For man, the creature's sin.

But drops of grief can ne'er repay
The debt of love I owe:
Here, Lord, I give myself away,
'Tis all that I can do!


When I Survey the Wondrous Cross
Isaac Watts

When I survey the wondrous cross,
On which the Prince of glory died,
My richest gain I count but loss,
And poor contempt on all my pride.

Forbid it, Lord, that I should boast,
Save in the death of Christ, my God
All the vain things that charm me most,
I sacrifice them to His blood.

See, from His head, His hands, His feet,
Sorrow and love flow mingled down;
Did e'er such love and sorrow meet,
Or thorns compose so rich a crown?

Were the whole realm of nature mine,
That were a present far too small;
Love so amazing, so divine
Demands my soul, my life, my all.

No comments: