"For God loved the world in this way: He gave His One and Only Son, so that everyone who believes in Him will not perish but have eternal life." John 3:16

Saturday, January 19, 2008

Heaven, Clouds and Throwing Up (don't ask...just read)

Our house has held lots of conversations on Heaven lately. Largely due to the Heaven book I read recently (to which I can now respond to questions much more excitedly and with assurance of what Heaven will be like) and also, just because life (and death) happens on this Earth. I have tried to turn things that have made my heart ache into positive ways to teach my children about the place where Jesus lives...and the place He doesn't.

I want to share our most recent conversation on Heaven that happened this morning, but first some background information...

Starting with Summer and then Shawn, then Chloe and Summer again and now still Chloe and Summer again...we have had a nice cycle of sick in our house since Christmas Day. I am hoping this week was the grand finale...if so, it went out with a bang! Normally, on Saturday morning, we would be up and out of the house by 8:30 to go to Summer's game. This morning, due to her being under the weather, and the rainy weather...we stayed home and slept. All of us except Daddy who, was up and out to work before anyone else was awake. When the kids and I got up we lounged around on the couch together. Pretty soon, Summer started this conversation...

Summer: "Mommy, have you ever thrown up?"

Me: "Yes, many times"

Summer: (disappointed) "Oh, I never want to do that again!"

Me: "I know. In Heaven you won't have to worry about that...you won't even get sick"

Summer: "Right! Jesus won't want us to throw up on the clouds!"

Possibly one of the reasons there will be no more sickness (however small it may seem) is that it really does make a mess! :)

And yes, I know and she knows too, that Heaven isn't in the clouds. It is interesting to me that I never taught her this, she just assumed it. When I tried to correct her, she was so disappointed to not be able to hold Jesus' hand and walk in the clouds, that I quickly said, "I am sure you will be able to walk in the clouds with Jesus if you want to." This brought big smiles and claps as she exclaimed, "Oh! I can't wait!!"

Smile. "Me either, my sweet girl, me either!"

1 comment:

Keri said...

I LOVE THAT GIRL and I barely know her! She keeps us in stitches over here! We are sympathizing with you from across the gulf...we, too, have had the flu.

Love you all!