"For God loved the world in this way: He gave His One and Only Son, so that everyone who believes in Him will not perish but have eternal life." John 3:16

Friday, July 11, 2008

America at the Crossroads

Deeper Still - Session Two - Kay Arthur

Wow. I have been sitting on this blog post for awhile. It's a heavy one.

I don't know where else to start with Ms. Kay's message other than right where she did.

She walked on stage, somber and transparent. Tears in her eyes, voice quivering. She said she had a very difficult message to deliver. She was right.

She told us how she ran down to the staff early that morning while they were praying. She threw herself on the floor and asked they pray for her. God had given her a message she didn't want to deliver. She looked into the crowd, tears now running freely, I can still hear her declare,"If I was a servant of all of you, I would not be doing this, but I am a servant of God...and I must do what He says."

You could of heard a pin drop in the building...a building holding 19,000 women...who would have thought that possible.

God had a message and He used Ms. Kay, willing and obedient servant to deliver it. Not a day goes by, I don't think of her message...and pray.

Her message was about America being at the crossroads...the election being a pivotal time for America. Bold, I tell you.

Ms. Kay warned that God was already bringing judgment on America. He brings judgment in the form of natural disasters and He brings judgment in the form of famine. She expressed that we were set up perfectly for a famine...the gas prices, food prices, disasters that have hit crops, etc.

She urged us not to cling only to the New Testament but to study the whole Bible and learn the character of God.

It is not the desire of God to bring judgment or calamity - rather it is the necessity of His character when we do not obey.

People in America do not know the Truth...
Therefore My people go into exile because they lack knowledge; the dignitaries are starving, and the masses are parched with thirst. Isaiah 5:13
(Also see Hosea 4:1-6)

She spoke bluntly about the lies being told by the media. She proclaimed boldly, "We are living in the midst of lies and those lies are going to destroy our nation. What are you listening to? What are you watching? Are you in God's Word to form your opinions?"

I still hear Ms. Kay speaking this verse with such passion:

Has a nation [ever] exchanged its gods? (but they were not gods!) Yet My people have exchanged their Glory for useless idols. Be horrified at this, heavens; be shocked and utterly appalled. [This is] the LORD's declaration. For My people have committed a double evil: They have abandoned Me, the fountain of living water, and dug cisterns for themselves, cracked cisterns that cannot hold water. Jeremiah 2:11-13

That was just the beginning of her message. She went on to give seven things we need to do in light of this:

1. Break up the fallow ground (Jeremiah 4:3). The fallow ground is the hardness of our soul. God is speaking, but are we listening? Lord, break my heart with the things that break yours!

2. It is a time to mourn (Jeremiah 9:17-18) Ezekiel 9 speaks of a time when God was getting ready to destroy Jerusalem...but He spares the mourners.

3. Pray (Jeremiah 36:7).

4. Love God's Word - above yourself (Jeremiah 20:7-13) His message must become a fire in our heart and we need to be willing to die for it.

5. Love others as Jesus loved them (Jeremiah 31:3).

6. Introduce people to Jesus - be on mission for Him (Jeremiah 31).

7. Rest. Rest in the Lord and trust in Him. Jeremiah 33:1-9 bears a wonderful hope in all of this: Yes, God judges, but He does it to restore...

I have no idea how this message sits with you. I know it is a touchy one. I also know the Truth is not always easy....but worth it? YES!

I left Atlanta with huge, enormous, gigantic respect for Ms. Kay Arthur. I feel so honored to have heard her speak...and such a timely message. Her love for America was evident. Her sincerity obvious. But above all else, her passion for God's Word shown brilliantly.

What a woman of the Word. That sweet lady knows her scripture. Back and forth, flipping pages and quoting from memory - she had us fully engrossed in the Word of God.

Before she concluded her time with us, she had us stand and hold our Bibles, while she prayed over us to fall deeply in love with the Word of God. To cling to it above all else and be willing to die for the Truth inside. A moment I will not soon forget.

I am clinging...praying...trusting in my All-Powerful God...

1 comment:

Marti said...

My mom and I, and then my husband and I, talked along these lines today. If it takes the trials to bring not just the country, but also the church here to the place they need to be at, are we willing to go through them?