"For God loved the world in this way: He gave His One and Only Son, so that everyone who believes in Him will not perish but have eternal life." John 3:16

Thursday, June 21, 2007

Hadassah

Shawn’s 18 hour work day yesterday gave me some quiet evening hours (not that HE is the loud one!) to finish my book. I have been so close to the end for a week now, that it was killing me. Every time I found time to read it, I was just too exhausted to focus. Last night, I was equally tired, but knew how little I sleep when my husband isn't home, so I grabbed a blanket and curled up on the couch determined to finish it...and that is exactly what I did. It was every bit of amazing!

The book is “Hadassah”, a Christian fiction novel based on the book of the Bible, "Esther", and also inspired the recent movie, “One Night with the King". I watched the movie, loved it and couldn’t wait to jump into the book. I must say, I am thankful I watched the movie first and then read the book. The movie dulls in comparison and I not sure I would have left as impressed if I had first read the story.

The glimpse it gives into the head of Esther and the fresh detail that is added to the well- known Bible story is fascinating. I was continually left amazed that a man wrote this book! He has insight into a woman’s head that I didn’t know was possible for one of the opposite sex! I admire his courage to go there.

This book is so much more than a novel! I learned a ton about the history that lead up to the book of Esther and was able to match up so many things with scripture. I was very impressed with the research that must have gone into this project. It starts out strong and never once weakens. It is full of phrases worth underlining and principles that can easily be applied to every day life. I was thrilled with God’s faithfulness, admired Esther’s courage and resolve, and amazed at how the story came around full circle in so many different ways. Truly, "the Most High God who always, even when He is silent, watches over His own." I can not help but smile.

I wish I could write more, but I am really hoping that if you haven’t read it, you will. I don’t want to spoil it for you. Even if you are familiar with the book of the Bible, I guarantee it will be a page turner! I am thoroughly engrossed in the story of Esther now! I even found myself digging out the Veggie Tales, “Esther, the Girl Who Became Queen” and can’t wait for Beth Moore’s “Esther” Bible study!!!

1 comment:

Tara said...

I cannot wait to read this book! I LOVED the movie, so powerful, and I've always loved Esther in the Bible. Send it my way, Mindy!