"For God loved the world in this way: He gave His One and Only Son, so that everyone who believes in Him will not perish but have eternal life." John 3:16

Thursday, May 10, 2007

Oh, Me of Little Faith

I have been dreading today all week. Didn't sleep at all last night because every time I would doze off I would see visions of masked dentists with big knifes...cutting and blood. I was just a little nervous about my tooth being removed today. :) Oddly, what made me the most scared was that I would be awake through the procedure. My mind is what gets me in trouble each time I have something medical done. It makes me freak...panic. I was worried that as soon as I saw an instrument or blood, I would be off and running. I have used towels before to make sure I didn't see anything (be quiet, Tara!) :) but wasn't sure how that would work at the dentist.

"Be anxious about NOTHING! Pray about EVERYTHING!" (That is my paraphrase of Philippians 4:6). I have been repeating this in my head for days, but I am just not getting it through this anxious head of mine! What is it going to take before I learn I do not need to worry, I just need to pray?

So, today I fearfully walked into the dentist office. Sat there waiting with sweaty palms and jumped every time the door opened. I held my breath as a name was called and started breathing again when it wasn't me. And then...it was me. I managed to somehow make my feet walk to the back even though every other part of me was screaming at them to run the other direction!

The assistant came in...followed by the dentist...they did x-rays. They examined my teeth...and you know what??? They didn't do the surgery!

Yes, I fretted and lost sleep for nothing! I am still going to have it done, but they decided (with my help :) ) that they would take all my wisdom teeth out at once and (the best part!) put me under!! It is being rescheduled and probably a couple of weeks away. I have more wonderful pain meds, so I can make it until then. I am breathing a sigh of relief for now. I may start worrying again as it gets closer (probably more about the IV and recovery since that is what I will be awake for) but I am really hoping by then I can grasp the concept of NOT being anxious, but instead praying and trusting God to get me through. It is good to know He is faithful, even when I am not.

Shawn had the day off work and my Mom and Dad were at the house babysitting so we took the opportunity to go on a date instead! We did make sure Grandma and Grandpa were up for it first, but then headed off to lunch and a movie. Way more fun than the dentist!!

All that worrying over such a good day!

No comments: