"For God loved the world in this way: He gave His One and Only Son, so that everyone who believes in Him will not perish but have eternal life." John 3:16

Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Facedown

Face Down
by Matt Redman

Welcomed in to the courts of the King
I've been ushered in to Your presence
Lord, I stand on Your merciful ground
Yet with every step tread with reverence

And I'll fall facedown
As Your glory shines around
Yes, I'll fall facedown
As Your glory shines around

Who is there in the heavens like You?
And upon the earth, who's Your equal?
You are far above, You're the highest of heights
We are bowing down to exalt You

So let Your glory shine around
Let Your glory shine around
King of glory, here be found
King of glory


In my study of the Tabernacle, I have been left facedown like never before. I am completely blown away by His greatness…His consistency…His persistence. That He would welcome one such as me into His Presence leaves me with no words…only tears. Even now they stream down my face as I try to put some sort of description to what my heart feels. This may ring meaningless to anyone except me, but I have to write…I have to write something.

There is nothing, absolutely nothing like the Presence of God. It is so available, so attainable…and yet I struggle to find the time to just sit…sit in Him. I long for the day when my flesh will be gone and I can know nothing except Him.

Exodus 33 echoes my heart cry. It begins with God telling Moses that the Israelites will be going to the Promised Land, a land flowing with milk and honey, but God will not be accompanying them. The people mourned and Moses interceded. He begged of God, “If your presence does not go…don’t make us go up from here.” (Exodus 33:15)

It wasn’t enough to be given God’s gifts or receive His promises. Victory over enemies, food from Heaven, led by an angel of God yet Moses needed more. He would not be satisfied with anything less than God Himself. If God was missing, the Promised Land meant nothing. It wasn’t worth another step if God wasn’t going with them. So Moses humbled Himself and pleaded…begged even.

And God agrees to go with the Israelites. But still, amazingly enough, Moses was not satisfied. I can almost hear his desperation, “Please, let me see Your glory.” (Exodus 33:18) And God complied, “I will cause all My goodness to pass in front of you.” (Exodus 33:19) Can you imagine?

Can you imagine experiencing God’s glory, experiencing what makes Him God alone? I imagine His glory is found in His Presence and so in His Presence I seek to be.

Oh, Lord, do you hear my own beggar’s heart pleading? I don’t want to go another moment without your Presence. I won’t take another step without You meeting me here. I need You, Lord, more than I need Your blessings!

“Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness because they will be filled.” (Matthew 5:6)

“Therefore let us approach the throne of grace with boldness…” (Hebrews 4:14).

Let us not forget for a moment that it is because of Jesus. It is through Him, represented in the Tabernacle, that God dwelt with the Israelites and it is through Him on the cross that we can dwell with God forever. It is only because of Him that we are welcomed into God’s courts, welcomed further into the Holy Place. He ripped through the veil so that we could know the Holy of Holies. We can see God’s glory, experience His Presence…and fall facedown.

No comments: